U Visas

After seeing a large number of cases of immigrant spouses that have been abused or made the victim of a crime by their U.S. citizen spouses, the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS, previously known as INS) developed the U visa. This type of visa allows victims of certain types of crimes a temporary legal status and allows them to stay in the U.S. for a specific period of time after leaving their U.S. citizen spouse.

At the office of John Nguyen, Attorney at Law, I provide clients with experienced advice and representation for a range of immigration matters, including petitioning for a U visa. As a former immigrant and a certified immigration specialist, I have a unique understanding of the difficulties that foreign nationals face when coming to the U.S. These issues can be compounded once an individual has married a U.S. citizen and is victimized or abused. I compassionately stand up for the rights of these individuals to help them secure legal documentation that supports their stay in the country apart from their citizen spouses.

Most U visa petitioners are women, but I represent anyone with a need for this visa. This is a nonimmigrant visa and only 10,000 are issued every year. Other family members such as children, siblings and parents may be listed on the petition. This is to ensure that all who are victims of crimes or abuse by a citizen family member are protected.

After being approved for a U visa, you are automatically granted work eligibility so you can support yourself and other family members who may have been saved from abuse by the U visa.

To learn more about how to obtain a U visa or take action to protect yourself from abuse, contact me at my office today or call us 209-622-0515. We can set up an initial consultation so I can review your situation and determine how I can best help you.

From offices in Modesto, San Jose and Stockton, California immigration attorney John Nguyen serves clients from every continent, including Asia, Africa, Australia, Europe and North and South America, with their immigration law issue throughout the Sacramento Valley, Stanislaus County and San Joaquin County in communities such as Modesto, Stockton, Manteca, Lodi, Ceres, Ripon, Merced, Turlock, Oakdale and Riverbank.

Modesto Office

Stockton Office

San Jose Office


Get the latest Immigration news from John Nguyen Law Offices in your inbox.